The Shrewsbury Northern Gateway scheme undertaken by Fitzgerald Contractors has won “Small Project of the Year” at the annual IHE Mercia Awards 2014.
The Northern Gateway into Shrewsbury is one of only three public highway access points into the historic town of Shrewsbury, and is a conservation area with many of the adjacent buildings being listed. The Shrewsbury Northern Gateway consisted of improving an existing gyratory system consisting of three signalised junctions; road network beneath and adjacent to three Network Rail structures and access to the listed Shrewsbury Rail Station.
The £1.2m scheme provided significant benefits for the Town Centre:
• Significantly widened footways to provide off-carriageway ‘shared use’ walking and cycle routes, with Toucan crossings
• Improved carriageway alignment
• Improved access for buses through movement of bus stops, with reduced delay to buses and traffic
• Enhancement of the highway footprint, with new pavements and landscaping
• Replacement of a deteriorating high-value asset (the original signals and pavements were nearing the end of their useful life)
• Installation of intelligent signals network
Fitzgerald worked closely with Shropshire Council to ensure their aspirations for the project were achieved.
‘The new junction has been very successful, being well received by the public and bus operators, and results in reduced traffic queue lengths and journey times. Fitzgerald Contractors met all of the goals asked of them and Shropshire Council officers and the elected members are delighted with the finish of the junctions and corridor and the benefits it provides. The project was delivered on time and on budget’. Richard Harman MIHE, Developing Highways Area Manager (Central), Shropshire Council
‘In light of the success of the Shrewsbury Northern Gateway scheme at the annual IHE Mercia Awards 2014 under the category of “Small Project of the Year” we would like to extend our sincerest thanks. The success of the scheme was due in no small part to the professionalism, careful planning and hard work of Fitzgerald’s site team in delivering this difficult scheme on time, within budget and to the highest standards’. Chris Edwards, Area Commissioner, South Shropshire